Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Increasingly Dismal Job Hunt


I have applied to no less than 30 different jobs this month. There have been three replies so far. (All unwanted--stuff from shady-sounding "home and life insurance" and sales marketing places. One marketing company was featured on a couple of blogs, stating that the company was scamming prospective employees.)

There was one legitimate response. There was an initial interview with someone from their PR and a senior VP at a communications company. There was even a second interview with a potential supervisor. I was beginning to believe that I had the job. But according to them, to quote the letter I received in the mail, "while we were impressed with your credentials and presentation, we have decided to continue our search." I noticed they posted the job position earlier this week on a couple of job sites. They are apparently still searching for that someone. This is a search is for an entry-level position, by the way. They are not looking for someone to run the company. Granted, I believe they overlooked me because it would have been a lengthy commute, but I had considered relocating. I have applied to a few jobs around the country last month. Canada is even in consideration.


This job hunt is becoming very dismal. I have graduated from a good university with a bachelor's degree that I doubt is going to assist me in the short term...aka getting any decent job that is going to help me pay off my student loans, as well as helping my family out, since they are pinching pennies at the moment. It would nice to help them out. And maybe start getting some money together for a deposit for a place of my own.

I have even begun applying to places in retail and food/beverage industries, which I am willing to work in while I get myself financially stable and find something that is remotely related to what I studied and sunk in thousands of dollars to go to school for (Communications, if anyone is curious or still reading). I am beginning to think that I should have gone to school for a field in computer science or just stayed back in Florida and worked the entertainment/tourist trap circuits. No matter how much the economy tanks, there will always be folks who can shell out thousands of dollars for a good time.

I understand that there will be people who are going to be trolls and reply to this in a negative manner, stating that I shouldn't be complaining because the job market is, for lack of a better term at the moment, in the shitter for a lot of people in many different professions and fields, or for whatever reason these people decide to waste their time and energy on the Internet instead of doing something productive in their lives.

I was going to simply post that I was looking for job (anything in the field of writing, editing, tutoring, PR, and communication-related), even if it was part-time or didn't come with great benefits. I saw that someone in the Milwaukee Craigslist site posted his or her credentials and figured, why not give this a shot. I have no idea when or if any of the many places I have applied to, from the small businesses searching for servers and food runners to the Trib searching for a "resident" for the Red Eye, will even bother looking at my resume, let alone reply back with a slim opportunity of getting an interview and meeting any of these prospective employers in the face.

I am not asking for sympathy or even empathy, though both are appreciated. I am simply asking for any of those places I have applied to for months on end to look at my resume, which has limited experience but great potential. I am a hard worker. I am great with people. The last time I checked, I am able to type at 50 WPM. I enjoy learning new things, helping others, and giving people a high-five and praise when they do a great time and empathy and advice and criticism when they need it on less than stellar moments on the job.

At this point in this, I am not sure why I am still typing all of this. Maybe this is all the pent-up frustration from trying to get a job. I'm not comfortable burdening friends about this, even though a few of them are going through a similar dilemma. But I know there are a few people out there, whether it's people who go on this site or others, who are experiencing this aggravating process of finding something that not only bring them a paycheck but will help them build their careers, identities, and lives. 

If anyone is still reading this, thank you. If anyone who read this is someone (or knows of someone) who is looking for a guy with a limited but very diverse background in communications, social media, audio and visual production, news writing/broadcasting, and writing, then I am interested in hearing from you.

Best of luck to all those who are also job hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment